Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm Fed, I'm Bored, And I'm Waiting For the Sun...

Tonight was pretty low key, as most nights turn out to be. I went for my usual walk on the town, a slow pace down Whyte Ave checking the scenery. Perusing the menu, if you will. The one street in town I can always count on finding a drunk college kid who won't miss a few pints of rye-infused blood.

Now I know your probably thinking that I lurk in alleys and jump out at my unsuspecting victims, but it's not like that at all. It's actually really easy to convince a drunk chap or two off the street, into a more... private area. There's a lot of ways to do this, but the one I'm batting a thousand on is easily my favorite.

I just offer them some weed. Works every time.

Nothing a kid losing his buzz wants to do more than get it back. It's science. So I simply start up a convo with some drunk freshman having the time of his life, entice him with some weed, boo ya. Dinner for one.


Don't look at me like that. I don't drain them. Just enough for me to get by until the next night. It's not a morality thing. Not at all. I'm a vampire.We are talking about the food chain here. Do you feel bad when you bite into a juicy hamburger? No sir. So it's not that.

I don't drain them, because one, I don't really need that much blood to survive. And two, I can't just start leaving a trail of bloodless bodies lying around the city. This isn't New York. I've heard people call it the ghetto of Canada, but I think the authorities would start to notice a bunch of stiffs piling up around my neighborhood. I don't need to start a CSI: Edmonton debacle.

Plus the population of the city is pretty much 100% ignorant of vampires. Not like we are widespread or in the tabloids or anything, but these people won't even acknowledge the possibility that we exist, let alone that you have at least one living in the city.

I say at least one, because I don't really know if there are any other vamps here. The one who made me had a few with her, but they all hightailed it out of here about a month after making me. I never really got the 411 on other vamps in the area. She did leave me a pretty sizable financial nest egg though. I can't be mad at her for that.

Paid for this apartment for the year, plus all the necessary amenities. Big screen TV, PS3 and an Xbox 360. A sweet laptop computer which should be obvious as your reading my blog right now. I went to Wal-Mart one night and picked up a shitload of furniture, which I had to have delivered at night, so it cost me a little bit more. Man, I don't know how vampires lived in a time when places weren't open 24 hours. That would have been a brutal unlife.

It's near dawn, which is obvious because I'm rambling. I always ramble when I get nervous. And nowadays, nothing makes me more nervous then the sun. And it's nothing I can control. I don't need a clock to know when dawn is coming, because I feel it in the pit of my stomach about an hour before sunrise. I think it's like Spider-Man's spider sense, warning him of danger. A vampire sense, if I may be so bold, that warns us to get into some shade, and soon.

What was the point of this? Oh, yea. I wanted to tell you about dinner tonight. When I'm 'hunting', to put it in it's most direct terms, I generally look for girls. Now before you call me sexist or chauvinistic for choosing the 'weaker sex', let me tell you that you are way off base. If anything, females are harder to feed on than guys are.

I just generally prefer getting close to the girl. A really drunk guy at the end of the night isn't going to be the... freshest of meals, you know what I'm saying? And if I'm going to be nibbling on your neck, it just seems a bit more enticing that it be a womans neck. Anyways, I'm getting off topic.

I hang out around a bar on Whyte near closing time. I know, creep alert, but I usually don't have a problem. So I see a group of girls come out, clearly wasted after a long night of partying, and the group separates, leaving their friend to get a cab alone. Not really nice of them, was it? Don't they know that there are monsters out at night?

So I walk up beside her, silent for a few moments. She's a tall, slim redhead, dressed to the nines. The type of girl I would have been afraid to approach in my old life. She's searching around her ridiculously over sized purse, presumably for a phone, so I see my chance. I whip out my cellphone (vampires can have cell phones too) and pretend to call a cab.

"Want me to call one for you?" I offer, in the most charming voice I can muster.

"Oh my god, that would be, like, so great. I can't find my fuckin phone anywhere!" She giggles, and I laugh with her, and bullshit my way through a fake taxi call. I let her know that they said about 25 minutes, and when she sighs at the inconvenience, I pull out my prize pony.

A fully packed bowl of herb.

Works every time.

As we head off the main street into a hidden crop of trees (a landmark requirement on Whyte Ave, apparently) to smoke privately, I turn on the charm. With guys I usually just quicktime move in for the bite, and it's over in less than a minute. But old habits die hard, and I never miss an opportunity to make some time with the ladies.

So we talk and flirt as we pass the bowl back and forth, and I try to stop my eyes from drifting to her neck. I can see her carotid artery pulsing away as she talks. Of course she confuses my wandering eye and thinks I'm sneaking a peek at her pleasantly displayed rack. Okay, so maybe I was checking that out too.

When the bowl is finished I move in closer, staring into her eyes. I know vamps are supposed to have some sort of mind control or whatever, but I had yet to figure that one out. What I had noticed was that once I caught their gaze, they seemed to get lost in my eyes. When I was human they were brown and boring, but after the change they had turned into a light yellow that was subtly ringed with red, and they were usually assumed to be a really light hazel. But once a chick got locked in, they didn't look away. Maybe that was the extent of the 'mind control'.

I slid my hand up her arm, and pulled her in close for a kiss. Another reason I preferred to feed on women. The taste of their saliva was like a beautiful appetizer, preparing my taste buds for the meal to come. She was delicious, I could tell right away. I could have easily brought her home at this point, but that just wasn't me. Maybe when I turn "full-on vamp" as Seth calls it.

We continued kissing, and she played with my ear lobes in a very intoxicating fashion. I kissed her ear, and slowly worked my way down her neck. The closer I got the more I could actually smell her blood. A + blood type, and she was a good girl. No drugs for her. I could always smell something chemically on the guys who had been taking drugs.

I popped my fangs, which isn't as fast a process as it sounds like. My incisors slowly elongate, pushing out of my gums. When they were out I licked a spot on her neck, listened to her purr, and bit. I heard a brief gasp from her and wrapped my arms tightly around her. She struggled briefly, butstopped and leaned into me, almost seeming to enjoy it. I remember the feeling well. It was nice to lose control every once in a while.

She was moaning as I drank, and I was kind of getting excited myself. It made it harder to stop drinking, but she seemed like a nice girl, I didn't want to drain her. I pulled away, a few droplets of blood splattering on her chest. I gasped as the transfer started. See, when I drink a human's blood, I get a rush of basic memories with it. Numbers, dates, treasured moments. Nothing solid, just bits and pieces of her life, locked in the blood.

I watched the wound on her neck close over, and then I licked it clean. She was still conscious, leaning on me and moaning. She would be fine, just a really bad hangover in the morning. I pulled out my phone and called a cab. When he arrived I placed the girl inside, gave the cabbie a hundred, and told him the address that was floating around in my head from her blood. It might not be where she lives, but she obviously knows the place if I can feel it, so she should be fine. The cabbie's in this city were pretty nice, she would be taken care of. Especially for the sweet tip buddy just got.

A successful feeding, if I do say so myself. I licked my lips, savoring the taste of her. She had a unique flavor, and I felt very energized. I might have to look for her again.

And that was my night. Pretty basic, no fuss no muss, luckily. Unfortunately, my dinner doesn't always go so well. Remind to tell you about how I met Seth.

That will have to wait for another time, the sun's almost here, so it's time to turn in.

See you at dusk...


No comments:

Post a Comment