Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Knight On The Town... Part 2

She sat a few seats ahead of me, parallel to the walls of the train car. I was facing forward, and I was having a hard time taking my eyes off of this beautiful girl who smelled just so sweet. Even here, surrounded by 10 to 15 other people on this car, I could smell her blood. Mesmerizing did not begin to describe it.

I forced myself to look out the window, so she wouldn't notice my stare. The city was beautiful at night, and as we crossed the iced over river, the frigid reflection of the city lights cast a haunting light under the train. Soon we'd be Downtown, and then after that we would be up in Clareview, end of the line. I was going to head Downtown, but my plans might be changing, depending on where this brunette bombshell was getting off.

I snuck another peak back at her as the announcement came over the train speakers.

Next Stop... Churchill Station... Next Stop... Churchill Station...

She looked up, and took a pair of earphones out of her ears. This was her stop, she was getting ready to get off. I stood up before her and headed to the farthest exit from her, so as not to creep her out. I watched out of the corner of my eye as she stood, and worked her way down the handrails to her closest door. The train slowed, and a high pitched squeal sounded from the brakes.

I pulled out my cell phone and pretended to dial a number. I had to see which way she took up to the streets, as casually as possible. I swear I wasn't a stalker in my old life, or an "aggressive observer" or anything like that. And yes, I do use my cell phone for things other than tricking women.


It's just, it was the hunt. Everything about it seemed to come naturally. Especially once I had honed in on a blood scent. As I followed, I could tell if they had noticed me, of if they were afraid. I automatically knew if I had to stay back a couple of steps or make my move now, I knew it in my core. I guess it was another perk of vampirism.

It was also one of the few things I enjoyed these days. The hunt seemed to make the night brighter, make everything more focused. It's why I got so upset when Seth told me had watched one of my hunts. These were private moments... between me, and her...

She walked past me as I pretended to talk on the phone, and I watched her hop on the escalator and ride it up. I closed the phone, waited a few seconds, and stepped on the escalator myself. Her smell lingered in the narrow walkway, and I tried to contain myself. I needed to be in the open air to feed, otherwise I got queasy. I don't know if that was the vamp in me, or just... me.

Once she reached the top she took the exit to Churchill square, a long winding walkway up to the street. If I followed her down that she would notice me for sure, so I took another exit. As soon as the doors closed behind me I quicktimed it up the stairs, reaching the street long before she possibly could have. I rushed across the streets, and I made it to the Churchill exit in time to watch her walk out of the door.

As soon as the door opened I smelled her again, immediately bewitched. I started following her as she took off down the street. Usually I had a plan to make contact, finish the hunt the easy way. But I couldn't concentrate. I just followed behind, lost in her scent. She turned the corner up ahead into the alley, and I quickened my pace. That's where it was going to happen.

As I turned the corner, I felt my fangs sliding out, and my vision turned red. It was almost time to feed. I looked around, getting ready to speed to her if I needed to, but she wasn't there. I slowly walked further in the alley, looking for her. There was no other way out of here, so where did she go? Something wasn't right here.

I heard something shuffle on a rooftop above me, and spun around quickly. I heard a quick sound, like an elastic being snapped, and I felt something slice my cheek. I turned as the arrow impacted into the brick wall behind me. I put my hand up to my cheek, and felt the blood start to drip. I heard another elastic snap, and I concentrated, blocking out everything except the sound of that arrow flying through the air.

I could hear it slicing through the air towards my chest. When I was moving in speed, it seemed like the rest of the world slowed down around me. It allowed me to pinpoint the arrow and catch it out of the air before it went into my heart. I heard a gasp from above as I slowed down to real time again. I took a look at the arrowhead fixed to the shaft. It was made of silver. So whoever was shooting at me knew what I was.

I sped up the wall behind me, catching onto a fire escape and blurring up that. In seconds I was on the roof across from them, looking down. I felt a low growl building in my throat, and I let it out into the night. The shooter looked up at me, a bearded guy wearing what looked to be a bulletproof vest, with an addition that covered his neck. His hair was tied back in a long ponytail, and a set of silver throwing knives circled each bicep. This was turning into a bad Rambo-Vampire movie.

The girl with the sweet blood was with him, smiling up at me. He reached into a pocket on his belt and pulled something out, flinging it to the rooftop. A shiny cloud billowed out across the rooftop, and I watched the brunette wave at me as the smoke covered her. I jumped across the alley, the smoke wafting away as I landed. They were nowhere to be seen, and I couldn't even smell her blood anymore. I moved further into the smoke, when I felt a strange itch in my eyes, in my throat, on my skin. It was the smoke, there was something in it.

I backed out of it, coughing. As I looked closer I could see parts of the smoke glittering in the moonlight. It was laced with silver. I growled again, clearing out the itch in my throat. This did not make me happy.

I checked the sky, and then took a look at my watch. It was getting late, and I was not interested in engaging another hunt tonight. I had to get home, and I had to do it quickly. I reached my hand back up to my cheek, surprised to see it was still bleeding. It must have been the silver that was keeping it open. I needed to feed in order to heal properly.

Looks like I needed to talk to Seth tonight after all...



No comments:

Post a Comment