Sunday, March 20, 2011

Seth...

I woke up to a loud and rapid knocking. I sat up in bed and stretched. Yea, I said bed. We don't sleep in coffins. At least I don't. And we don't wake at the crack of dusk either. Looking at my clock I realized I had overslept quite a bit. It was getting late, and I needed to feed. Maybe the knocking on my door was a voluptuous hottie who wanted to give her blood to me.

Clearly I was still dreaming.

I walked to the door and looked out the peephole. All I saw was a lot of jet black hair covered in product, nodding quickly in front of the door. It was Seth.

Great...


"What do you want, Seth?" His head stopped banging and I could see his eye enlarge across the peephole.

"Hey, Owel, man. You okay? You slept later than you usually do so I was just, y'know, checkin in n' shit. You hungry?" He swept his hair back and displayed his neck in the peephole. I shook my head and turned the deadbolt.

I slowly opened the door, and Seth stood before me. He was wearing a ripped sleeveless mesh shirt with a white wife beater underneath. I couldn't even begin to count the amount of bracelets, strings, and chains hanging off of his wrists and neck. And he must have had a little sister, because I think he was wearing her pants.


I waved my arm towards me inviting him in. I walked to the kitchen.

"I find it a little upsetting that you know my sleeping habits, dude." I gathered the appropriate items and turned on the coffee pot.

"Heh heh... Why?" Seth was in the living room, which ran along the same wall as the kitchen. He was standing in front of the couch, trying to untangle his gigantic headphones. I realized I was standing there in boxers so I walked back to my room to get dressed.

I came out a few minutes later in dark sweat pants and a tight black t-shirt. Casual Vamp, you could call it. Seth was laying on the couch, looking at the roof, smiling. When he heard me walk in he sat up quickly and looked at me, waiting for something.

I sighed, shaking my head, and moved into the kitchen. I grabbed 2 mugs and filled one up, leaving the other one half full. I walked into the living room and sat down in the chair next to the couch. I put the cups down on the table and looked at Seth. He looked at the cups and smiled. He pulled a small swiss army knife from his pocket, and flipped out the blade.

He jabbed the knife into his index finger, and blood dripped down the knife. I winced as a few drops hit the table. What a waste. He held his finger over my half filled coffee cup and let the blood drain into it.

I had read a lot of literature about vampires on the past few months. I remember one, I think it was a Christopher Moore novel, where a couple of newly turned vampires mixed blood with coffee, which allowed them to stomach it. As a long time customer of Tim Horton's who was greatly in need of a caffeine fix, this was something I had to try, and it proved beneficial.

Seth had finished sprucing up my coffee, and was holding his finger towards me. I licked my finger, and rubbed it across his cut. He watched in amazement as the wound closed over.

"That's so cool. It doesn't even hurt, like it never happened. How do you do that?" He looked at me with big doughy eyes, like he did with every question he asked me.

"My saliva heals the wound so that you don't bleed out. Helps us keep you fresher, I suppose. No good having our dinner dying on us before we're finished. And there's also some kind of a paralyzing chemical, that's why your finger doesn't hurt anymore." I took a sip of my coffee and grimaced.

"How is it?" Seth asked.

"Terrible. Has never tasted the same."

"Then why do you drink it? If you don't mind me asking, I mean." He looked down at the floor, embarrassed. He seemed so frightened to ask all these questions, but he did anyway... every night.

"I dunno. I guess it's really the only habit I have left from my old life, I like to hang onto it." We were silent for a few minutes. I reached into the drawer under the coffee table and pulled out a big bag of green.

"Okay, so it's not the only habit. Roll one up, dude." I threw the bag at him, which he completely failed to catch.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat first?" He asked hopefully.

"C'mon Seth. Do we have to go through this every night? I'm not going to feed on you. It actually really creeps me out that you want me to."

"I creep you out? That's funny. I'm just saying, it's already pretty late, and you've got to be hungry. You hardly took any blood from that girl last night..." He said the last part quietly, but I heard him. My hearing had greatly improved since I was turned.

I stood up quickly and grabbed him by his shirt, pushing him back against the couch before he could even finish his sentence.

"WHAT?! You watched me hunt?" I stared into his eyes, and I felt an anger wash over me. My vision turned red, and I could see the blood running underneath Seth's skin.

"I-I-I'm sorry... I d-didn't t-think it was a big deal. I-I just wanted to watch you feed. I was curious. I'm sorry." He was terrified, I could see it in his eyes. My fangs slowly started sliding out, and I felt the strangest urge to just rip out his throat and let him drain onto my carpet.

I blinked my eyes, and loosened my grip. I sped over to the other side of the living room, looking like a blur to Seth's slow human eyes. I leaned against the wall, pulling myself together. My fangs retracted slowly as I breathed, calming myself down.

"I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just, the hunt is personal, okay? It's private. It's Me time. Do you understand?" I turned to look at him. He was shaking on the couch, staring at me.

"Y-y-yea, I totally understand. I'm really sorry man. I won't ever do it again, I promise."

"It's okay. Now are you gonna spin up that doobie? I want to do some game-age before I have to go to sleep." He smiled, relaxed and started busting up some weed.

"We won't have time to game if you have to go feed. There's only like 4 hours until dawn." Seth finished rolling the joint and put it down on the table. I could see where he was going with this.

"Well, I guess I'll have to eat in tonight, then." Seth looked up at me sharply, and I swear it was Christmas morning and Seth had just gotten a years supply of eyeliner.

"Do you mean... Like, your gonna..."

"Yea, I guess... But just your wrist! No way am I biting that neck. And just this once, because I don't feel like going out."

"Awesome..." That one word slipped out of his moth, drawn out and full of air. He ripped off his bracelets and held his arm out to me.

I really hope I don't end up regretting this...



No comments:

Post a Comment