Monday, March 21, 2011

A Knight On The Town... Part 1

I headed out the front door of my building as soon as I woke up and got dressed. I didn't want to see Seth tonight. He hasn't been the same since I fed off of him. He at least used to act like, well, a friend. Now he's trying to be my slave and that just wasn't what I was looking for. I figured I'd take a night out, stay away from the apartment. Knowing him, he's following me anyway.

I wrapped my scarf a little tighter as the wind picked up. I wasn't as susceptible to the cold as your average human, but this was Canada. And it was beyond cold out tonight. One thing I did like about the cold was it really let me dress up for the night. Especially with the money my maker left me. My collared knee length overcoat and striped scarf was a little nicer and preppier than how I used to dress. It's strange because I never used to care about how I looked, but since I was turned vamp, I felt the need to dress the part.

Almost as if a privileged fashion sense was passed down through the vamp blood. Not too often you see a disheveled looking vampire, am I right? Anyways, I fit in pretty easily with the college kids who frequented my neighborhood. I speed walked the 20 blocks to the University of Alberta, took me about 3 minutes. One of the nice perks of vampirism. Not the only one, either.

I slipped to normal speed and headed to the train platform. I needed to get out of the University area for the night, I had spent too much time here feeding over the last few weeks. I felt it was important to spread out my feedings. Chances are most of them either wouldn't remember our encounter, or wouldn't let themselves believe it. But I preferred to play it safe. This was my home, I guess. For now...


I watched the humans waiting for the train, shivering. A few of them were grouped up on the north end of the platform, chatting and laughing. I moved in a little closer, listening in. The usual useless chatter, nothing of note. I definitely did not miss the small talk of acquaintances. I turned around and headed back to the center of the platform.

I didn't really need to take the train. With my enhanced speed I could usually get anywhere I wanted in the city in 10 minutes. But I kind of enjoyed riding along with the humans, watching them move through their lives, carefree and oblivious. It wasn't that long ago that I was one of them, but it seems like so much has changed. I looked to the south end of the platform, and noticed a group of teens bugging a kid who was waiting for the train.

I used to have to worry about getting mugged, or just beat on for no reason, but now I could take on 10 of these banger punks without breaking a sweat. And I don't like seeing some poor kid getting roughed on like I used to. Not very vamp of me, but I couldn't help it. I looked around to see if anyone was watching, and when I saw it was clear, I raced like a blur until I was standing behind the guy who looked to be running things. He didn't notice me standing behind him, just kept laughing as his crew kept pushing the kid around.

"I suggest you leave him alone, meat." I growled the last word, surprised to hear an honest-to-god growl rise out of my throat. That was new. The crew turned around quickly to look at me. The leader backed up and gave me a once-over, then elbowed his closest friend.

"Look at dis punk, man. Ima thinkin he needs to learn to mindz 'is own biznezz." Two of his crew started moving forward. I sniffed, getting a sense of their blood. They were weak, doped up on something. It was giving them a mad hate on, and I could already tell their blood would have a rusted, rotten taste to it. Lucky them...

I quicktimed it to cross the distance between me and the leader, and picked him up quickly by the throat. I gave it a hard squeeze, making him gurgle, and I smiled as his friends heard the sound.

"And I think you need to learn which business is yours. Now get the hell away from this train station." I made the lead banger look down at me as I released my fangs. His eyes widened and he gurgled again, trying to speak. i dropped him and pushed him to the ground. "This is my train station now."

The crew took off, and I retracted my fangs. I helped the kid they had been beating on up, and he mumbled his thanks. Those guys weren't going to be coming back here, so he had a few weeks of feeling safe, until the next crew rolled in. Maybe I would just have to make this trip an ongoing event.

Out of nowhere I caught a whiff of something... exquisite. Most men might turn to look at a women who's perfume enticed them, but that was just a mask for what really interested me. I turned to see a beautiful girl walking past me, couldn't have been older than 22, maybe 23. Long curly brown hair was blowing in the wind, barely covered by a cute white wool knit cap. She walked with a strange gait, like she knew I was watching. I took another sniff, and smelled her blood again.

It was intoxicating. Smelled like sweet cinnamon, or the smell of bacon in the morning. It's really hard to describe in normal terms. I found myself walking behind her, without really realizing I had started. I heard the train coming up behind us, but I couldn't bring myself to look away from her. She turned to look at the train, whipping her hair behind her shoulder. She was absolutely beautiful. I could see that sweet smelling blood running through her cold cheeks, the veins close to the surface. Her eyes met mine, and she let a little smile slip before she looked away.

I moved a little bit closer to make sure I was in the same car as her, and then waited for it to stop. As the doors opened, I saw her throw another quick look my way, and then she stepped through. I let myself smile a little, and noticed my fangs had started to release on their own. I drew them back in and stepped on the train.


No comments:

Post a Comment