Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Knight On The Town... Part 3

I made it back home in record time. My cheek itched like crazy, the silver spreading through my system fast as I ran. That was sloppy, too sloppy. I got distracted by that brunette's enticing blood, and it led me right into a trap. Real pro of me, that was.

I walked up to my apartment building's front entrance, and reached into my pocket for keys. My hands were shaking. My face burned like hell, I was dying to scratch it. But that would just spread the itch. This wasn't my first time spiked with silver, I knew how to handle it now.

There was a lot of lore concerning supernatural beings and their weakness to silver, and unfortunately for me, it was true. Now, it's not weakness like Superman and Kryptonite, not quite. It's a poison, a disease, an allergy. For some reason once it comes in contact with vampire DNA a violent reaction occurs. A complete combustion of the cells that spreads slowly, cell by cell. This is what was happening on my face, right now, and it didn't feel very good.

I dropped my keys and cursed. My hands were shaking, and the keys jingled as I tried to unlock the door. With that finally accomplished, I vaulted up the 4 flights of stairs to the floor I shared with Seth and another unknown tenant. I lived in 5B, but I turned the corner and ran to 5C, Seth's place.

"SETH! SETH!" I pounded at the door. I swear, if this kid is not home right now, I'm eating him. Actually, if he is home, I'm probably doing that anyway.

"SETH! Open up you gothic fuck! I don't have time for this!" I banged my head against the door, sliding down to the ground. This is bad. I needed fresh blood to fight off the silver, which I could already feel burning the better part of my cheek away. I knew I should have stopped to feed on the way home, but the burn was too distracting.

Well, I was going to have to go out again, and see about getting some blood, stat. I heard the elevator door slide open, and my fangs slid out, hungering.

"Woah, Owel, dude, are you okay, dude?" Seth was standing awkwardly, sipping some frozen macho-choco-whipped thing.

"Open the door, I... ugh... I need your help."

I was never going to live this down.

.                                 .                                     .

I stood at the window of Seth's apartment, peeking out the black drapes. We weren't the tallest building in the area, but pretty close. A good viewpoint on the other rooftops, if nothing else. Seth was laying on the couch, shining a laser pointer on the roof and giggling. Apparently he had dropped a hit of acid on his way up the stairs, and it was just kicking in.

Which meant I was in for a bit of a trip, unfortunately. I had spent little time explaining the situation to Seth before he had proudly offered his arm to me, and I drank. As the fresh blood coursed back into my veins I felt the burn of the silver recede, and my cheek start to knit itself back together. I was lucky the arrow had only knicked me, because I would have needed a lot more blood if it had stabbed into me for any length of time.

I felt a sudden head rush, and something radiated through my body, an itch that started at my cheek. And it was getting really warm in here...

"Seth, how much of that shit did you take?" I licked my lips, noticing my fangs were out.

"Just a couple of tabs, bro, you'll be fine. Just ride with it." He sat up, eliciting another giggle from himself.

"Yea, just ride with it, he says. Just a couple of tabs, bro. This is not a good time for me to trip out." I sat down on the chair across from Seth, feeling like I was sitting on a giant fluffy marshmallow.

"Dude, what exactly happened to you? Not too often you are knocking on my door, ya know?" Seth pulled out a smoke and lit up, flinging his hair out of his eyes.

"I was attacked. It was my own fault, really. Distracted by a girl."

"Yea, I know that feeling." He exhaled, laughing a little in between puffs of smoke.

"I'm sure you do." I wiped my ridiculously large hands across my face and looked around Seth's living room. Black walls, black furniture, black drapes. Not much to see in here, plus we were sitting with the lights off, a disco ball in the corner reflecting the moonlight from the street. At least I think it was a disco ball.

"So who attacked you? The girl?"

"No, it was a guy, he was working with the chick. Shot me with an arrow than pulled a vanishing act. Like something out of a damn movie." I felt a laugh building inside of me, like a bubble blowing up my body from the inside. Why did I want to laugh? Nothing was really funny right now...

"Wow, that is messed up. Like, a crazy vampire hunter or something? Blade, or... or... like a great descendant of Van Helsing. Something like that?" He looked at me, eyes wide and wondering. They were shimmering, kind of. Like a reflection in a pond. I blinked and shook my head. This shit was really kicking in. I don't usually get the sensation from their blood this intense, it must have been the silver.

"No, it's not like that at all. Not really..." I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Can you move that disco ball, man? It's making my head feel weird."

"I don't have a disco ball. So how do you know it's not like that? Did he talk to you?" I looked at Seth, and then back at the disco ball that wasn't a disco ball. It shimmered and exploded, sending a light show across the black walls. I closed my eyes, but it was still there, blinking and flashing. 

"No, he didn't talk to me... I've seen him before..."


No comments:

Post a Comment